Monday, April 25, 2011

Cone 6 Update

 My first earthenware glaze firing went smoothly and has been instructive. 





 I put some shelves and a table for a glazing area.


 Loading stoneware for bisque fire.
 The stoneware is bisqued to cone 05. It will go to cone 6 with the glaze fire.
 A bucket of glaze. I have some loose instructions for mixing the dry powdered glaze ingredient with water..about a pound to 16 oz of water. Having seen the earthenware I know that's about right but that each color (mix) behaves differently.
 I've been applying the glaze by dipping pieces and pouring and brushing glaze onto pieces.



 After a couple of hours I have a batch for the kiln.
 
So this batch of Glazed stoneware was sort of a disaster. A couple of the glazes are shedding off or are full of air bubbles. I suspect I applied them too thick but it may have also been a problem of temperature.

The exterior of this piece is ok but the 'cracle' glaze I put on the interior looks like glass foam.
 Although the interior of the cup is not good I like the glaze on the exterior. The larger pot is the only piece that came through without major problems.

Another clay body...this is a high fire (cone 10) clay body that is suitable for wood fire.
I will have an opportunity to fire some pieces at a workshop in Newcastle,  Maine next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment