Friday, March 25, 2011

Gravity and Breath, Yoga in Pottery

 It took three tries to get this much clay to stand up. Holding the different throwing positions necessary to pull larger forms is very much like doing yoga, and like practicing yoga i find the hardest part is controlling the breath,  or actually, remembering to breathe at all.

 It's not feather light but it's still standing.

 I'm happy with the lid but the handles are clunky.


 I was shooting for a form I saw in Phil Rogers book when I threw this last night...it's not quite what I wanted but it was the first time I had a premeditated goal for a larger form...that's something of an evolution. 

Out of sequence...earlier attempts. The bulbs at the bottom of the two taller forms are from sagging not forming...the concequences of uneven pulling...but they survived and will clean up fine. At this point I will fire anything that stands up!

No comments:

Post a Comment