Monday, March 7, 2011

@%*#

Today I drove 300 miles round trip for naught! I was hoping to pick up a used kiln. The price and the vintage was reasonable and it was almost the exact model I have been thinking about. At the last minute be for I set off I realized that the kiln had the wrong voltage (208) which is intended for use where the power supply is 3 Phase...look it up for clarity. Three phase offers three hot wires and if just one of the wires is used it can be treated as single phase but the voltage is somewhat lower than residential 240volt single phase. So the kiln is set up for 208volt and if I wired it at home I would fry it because of the increased voltage potential. Interestingly I learned from the manufacturer that I could replace the elements of the kiln with elements rated for 240 and merrily fire away. I had to consider the 4-6 hours the process would have taken and added $300 for new elements. Anyway, what really killed the deal for me today were the big cracks in the kiln floor and the obvious abuse the refractory brick kiln walls had obviously seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment