Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wood Fire results and re-fire


 Tyler Gulden peers into the kiln which has cooled for a week...this was last Saturday.
 The door removed we could see that the results of the reduction experiment were not exactly what was hoped for.
 Most everything had a crystalline texture and though ash had clearly built up and started to flow on the work, at some point it devolved. 
 John levering separating some of his pieces of the kiln floor. Tyler's jar on the left was on the edge of the fire box and may still be stuck to the floor.


 There seemed to me to be a decent amount of color but very little wow factor.

 So these are some of my pots returned from the kiln. Overall I like the colors and the effects but I know that they are not what they could be. The rough textures make them less attractive as objects to hold and behold.



 This little tea bowl was the only piece I thought I would be able to use...it has a Leach liner glaze in and out and miraculously the surface of this one is what one would expect smooth like glass.
There was some talk of re-firing possibilities while we examined the results at Watershed. I culled the worst offenders and put the in my electric kiln with several pieces I was glaze firing to cone 6 and the results were great. Glazes that came out of the wood kiln looking like carbonized marshmallow liquified and flowed, rough edges became smooth.





 I really like this red watershed slip..





 recto
 verso
 interior
 These cone six bowls were not wood fired..just throwing them in...the manganese speckeling in this clay body is beginning to drive me crazy..maybe some clay slip could improve things.

Teaser shot for the Garden Blog...Daisey's home and planting my pots!

No comments:

Post a Comment